The Most Fuss Free SIM Card Option in Korea
Everyone knows that Korea is one of the most connected countries in the world, with free wifi hotspots literally everywhere. From shopping malls to cafes and restaurants, you can even get connected to free wifi while walking on the streets! Because of this, many tourists choose not to buy a SIM card when they are in Korea, choosing to rely on these free wifi hotspots instead. However do you know that when you purchase a SIM card such as the prepaid EG SIM Card, you get automatic access to Olleh’s extensive wifi network? All subway stations and trains are covered by wifi, as well as most shopping malls, popular tourist spots, cafes, restaurants, amusement parks and even outdoor events!
- The EG SIM card package includes a user guide in both English and Chinese.
- The app is also available in 4 different languages.
How the EG Sim card plan works:
- Get the EG SIM card.
- Activate the SIM card. For this you need to have a photo of your passport saved on your phone you will use for self-activation. Please refer below for detailed information.
** The photo file format must be JPG or JPEG, also not allowed to use scanned copy **
- Open a web browser on your mobile device while using 3G/4G data. Go to ‘m.egsimcard.co.kr’ and click your preferred language.
- Click ‘Apply Now!’
- Scroll down the page
- Read ‘Service Terms & Condtions’ and click ‘I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions.’
- Fill in the form accordingly. The Date of Entry must be same as your actual arrival date in Korea.
- 1 Passport can activation 1 SIM card only and it MUST be the traveller’s passport.
- Once activation is completed, you will receive a notification email. If you have not received any email from EG SIM card immediately after activation, please re-activate the SIM card.
- Your SIM card will be activated a day before your departure (the date you have set as ‘The Date Of Entry’ on activation process) between 5 to 7PM. You will receive notification email by 7PM, the day you activated. Once activated your SIM card is ready to be used in Korea.
- Depending on the device, you might have to follow the following steps on your phone if you can’t connect to internet:
- If you wish to recharge your data balance but have insufficient value in the SIM card, you can visit at GS25 convenience stores to top up. The money will be added to your existing voice call balance. By topping up 20,000KRW(10,000KRW is the minimum top up amount), you can use it to pay for the 1GB data top up which will cost you 16,500KRW, leaving you with 3,500KRW for calls. Topping up of data can be done through the app.
How to top up your data through the app:
- Download the app ‘EG SIM Card’ from your respective app store.
- Enter the app and you should see the following page.
- Go to ‘Top Up’ and you should see the following page.
You can also top up your voice call balance with your credit card without having to go to GS25 store. Simply go to the first option ‘How to recharge voice balance of EG SIM’ and follow the payment instructions.
- To top up your data balance after completing your top up for your voice call balance, go to ‘Application for data plans/Cancellation of data plans’
- You will be then required to enter your phone number. You should see the following screen after that.
Data Plan is available when there is no date left or after cancellation of data service. The amount required for the new data plan will be deducted from your current voice call balance.
- Once you have followed the steps, you should receive a SMS to inform you of the top up.
- You’re now all set to use the data on your SIM card!
You can go to https://www.egsimcard.co.kr/eng/myaccount/check-balance-usage.asp or through the EG SIM card app to check your voice and data balance.
How to make an overseas call:
- Dial 008 + country code + enter telephone no.
(China ex.008+86+1234567+press call button)
- Press call button.
- Charges are calculated as such:
How to connect ollehWiFi:
Get your MAC address (or Wi-Fi Address, e.g. F4:31:C3:A2:90:RT) from your phone information on Phone Setting. Call hotline at 1899-6120. Wait till there is voice message in English or Mandarin to be connected with customer service and give your MAC address. They will manually connect your phone and ollehWiFi for you to use right away.
Using the EG SIM card here in Korea is a very easy affair! For more information do check out their official homepage at http://www.egsimcard.co.kr/eng/main/index.asp.
Where to purchase EG SIM card in Singapore :
- CHAN BROTHERS TRAVEL (+65) 6438 8880
#01-12 Fook Hai Building, Singapore 058727
Monday to Friday: 10.00 am – 7.00 pm
Saturday: 10.00 am – 6.00 pm
Sunday: 12.00 pm – 6.00 pm
$5 OFF coupon is available when you purchase the SIM card from MobileU (Click here for details)